Did You Know…? Protect Your Family from Accidental Poisoning

A poison is any substance that is harmful to your body when eaten, breathed, injected or absorbed through the skin. Any substance can be poisonous if enough is taken. It only takes a few minutes to help prevent poisonings. 

  • Put the toll-free poison-control number (800-222-1222) on all phones. Program it into your family’s cell phones.

  • Keep medicines, household cleaners and other toxic products out of children’s reach, in locked or childproof cabinets.

  • Monitor the use of medicines, especially those prescribed for children and teenagers.

  • Take medicines as directed.

  • Keep medicines and chemical products in their original bottles or containers.

  • Follow directions on product labels.

  • Turn on a light when you give or take medicines.

  • Never share or sell your prescription drugs.

  • Dispose of unused, unneeded or expired prescription drugs.

  • Never mix household products together. For example, mixing bleach and ammonia can result in toxic gases.

  • Put on protective clothing (gloves, long sleeves, pants, etc.) if you spray pesticides or other chemicals.

  • Turn on the fan and open windows when using household cleaners and other chemical products.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention