You can help prevent carbon-monoxide exposure
  • DO have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

  • DO install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon-monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

  • DO seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous.

  • DON’T use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window.

  • DON’T run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

  • DON’T burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.

  • DON’T heat your house with a gas oven.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention