Part of staying healthy, especially during these winter months when viruses are more common, is eating a balanced diet. Here are a few tips on maximizing the effect of the nutrients in your food as a way to fight colds and flu.
- Think color and variety. Eat a colorful plate to get all of the vitamins and nutrients you need to stay healthy. Choosing a variety of fruits and veggies can help you make sure you get important phytochemicals that can help boost your immune system.
- Stay hydrated.Water, herbal tea and other non-caffeinated drinks can help keep your system running well and help you fight off germs. Carry a refillable water bottle with you throughout the day.
- Think fiber. Choose whole grains such as wheat bread, brown rice and whole-grain cereals.
- Eat healthy protein. Get enough protein from lean meats, fish, eggs, tofu and beans.
- Practice smart snacking. Think ahead and pack fruits, dairy or nuts to keep you going between meals.
- Consider taking a multivitamin.Not every day is going to be a perfect day when it comes to healthy eating. A multivitamin can help fill the nutritional gaps.
Source: University of Michigan